The Bible says that ‘people need more than bread for their life; real life comes by feeding on every word of the LORD’ (Deuteronomy chapter 8 verse 3).
At St. Columba’s Church we encourage people to read a portion of the Bible each day. There are many versions of the Bible in print today, and available in all sorts of bookshops. The version of the Bible we use at St. Columba’s Church is the New Living Translation, or the NLT, for short. We do this because it is an easy-to-read modern English version of the scriptures, available in a wide range of printed and electronic formats. can I get the best out of reading the Bible? Here are some simple guidelines to derive maximum benefit from reading the Bible:
- Read the Bible every day. Daily spiritual nourishment helps us to learn more about God and about ourselves. It helps us become the people God wants us to be.
- Find a quiet time and place. Remember, a few minutes focusing on God’s written word are better than no minutes at all.
- Approach the Bible with reverence. God has chosen to reveal himself through its pages and sentences. It has no mistakes in its many chapters and books, and a humble heart will always hear God’s voice, giving strength and wisdom.
- Read the Bible with someone else, with a husband or wife, with children, with a fellow believer. When we share our thoughts and experiences with other believers we can help one another to discover the riches of God
- As you read, ask yourself 3 things; what does this section of the Bible tell me about God? What does it tell me about myself? What must I now do in light of what I have just read?
Remember, it is better to read a sentence or two and to reflect deeply on its meaning and significance than to get through many chapters at speed and not recall a single thing you have read!
At St. Columba’s Church we encourage the use of a daily Bible reading plan. Try one of the many plans here.
May God bless you as you read about him and about the marvellous things he has done, and is still to do!